You may think that only a professional can fix a water heater. However, many times a quick change of the temperature switch is all that is needed. In this post, we’ll explain why water heaters have a temperature switch and how to replace it yourself!
What is the role of the temperature switch in your water heater? The temperature switch makes sure that the water heater doesn’t overheat. You should never bypass it, as that could permanently damage your water heater or start a fire. A temperature switch is a small but important part and repairing it easy enough for just about anyone to do.
Click here to purchase your replacement switch!
How to Fix a Water Heater Yourself
Keep in mind, If you notice the smell of gas, leave the area immediately and call a professional.
You will want to test the continuity of your new switch before installing it to make sure that it works. If it doesn’t, touch the two ends of your continuity tester together to make sure that works.
- First, Find the temperature switch on your unit. You may have to remove a cover. If you are having trouble finding it, follow the wires and see where they lead.
- If you have a gas water heater, turn off the gas supply. Then set the thermostat control to “Pilot”, and then turn off the control valve.
- Disconnect the wires from the temperature switch.
- Use a continuity tester to see if the switch has continuity. If it does not, then it either needs to be reset or replaced.
- If it needs to be replaced, then unscrew the switch from the water heater and remove it. Install the new just as the old one was.
- Turn everything back on. Your water heater should be functional again.
Our manual reset thermostat switches are ideal when you want to call special attention to a temperature malfunction. Because the switch needs to be manually reset, a human must interact with the switch and solve the problem before the equipment or appliance can work again.
The bi-metal disc will snap at the appropriate temperature separating the electrical contacts. The switch will remain “open” until the button on the back is pushed, moving the disc back into the “closed” position.
- Surface Mount
- 90° Terminal Orientation
- Variety of Terminal Options
- Temps from 100°F to 350°F
- Up to 15 Amps @ 120 VAC
- Operates with AC or DC
- 6,000 cycles
- UL Listed
- Made in the USA
Click here to purchase your replacement temperate switch today!